A Disclaimer

"Abuse" is a powerful word. Yet fitting. Some of the cruelest forms of abuse are invisible, hidden, covert and ambient. I am not a professional but I have de-coded the mind invading games of abusive people. Though I don't intend on making light of this subject, one has to have perspective when realizing how ridiculous the games are. Like the little man behind the curtain of OZ, once you strip away the ruse, YOU get your power back. If you can catch it while it's happening, you can avoid becoming brainwashed and a target to these types of people.

This site is for ANYONE who has suffered from an psychological abuser...and even those who ended up being abused in more overt or physical ways. Anyone who needs healing, of any sex, color, age, creed, background or culture. It doesn't matter if you dated, were married to, related to or worked for....anyone who's been abused this way can benefit. Abuse is not a "female" problem. It is a HUMAN problem.


"WHEN PEOPLE SHOW YOU WHO THEY ARE, BELIEVE THEM."-Maya Angelou

Search This Blog


robert bonfils, 1960

23.2.10

So, what's wrong with us? Part one


These next few postings.....I feel very passionate about. I'd say that these are probably the hardest ones for me to write, actually. Probably because I take a very alternative view than most forums, websites and blogs in terms of my beliefs about how we fell prey to a relationship(s) like this.

For us all-even one toxic relationship such as this earns us an honorary PhD in psychology. By the time everything is said and done, we have learned more about human nature and abnormal psychology than any textbook or classroom could teach us. A large part of this is due to the obsession that happens to try and understand this man, and in our "research", we absorbed information and psycho-babble like a sponge.

To me, it created a dichotomy as one part of me understood and became "enlightened", yet another part of me became even more confused-as the lines of what exactly the root of his problems are, what "label" I could really attach to him, became more blurred. This is when my counselor pointed it out that what really should matter is not so much what he is but HOW he is, and that's all I really needed to know-that, and nothing I could do or not do would change it.

That said, it only brings comfort when we realize that it isn't us. That is, that he is, was and will be the same way to another woman. This is an area that until we truly believe that, can often wound the most, as we imagine him with another treating her as we should've and wanted to be treated, or we actually see him involved with another and doing things he didn't do with us. For awhile. If you are able to find a past lover or spouse of his, ask her. You'll see, that he wasn't different. And he won't be to the next.

We tend to personalize it all-because he told us be it directly or indirectly, that it was us, or he pointed out so much that he didn't like about us, was constantly hypercritical, fickle, "picky", condescending and quick to point out the negatives-that we are led to believe that if we were only this, that or the other thing-he'd be happy.Espeically if he cheated, and particularly when he compares us to others that have been in his life, or are in his life vicariously (ie, his best friend's wife, his brothers' girlfriend, YOUR best friend)-well, he wants us to believe its a flaw in us that creates his monster, and that he isn't just a jerk to all women.

But he is.

Meanwhile, we wonder-or others around us wonder while we are still in denial-what is OUR problem? Surely, we must be just as crazy as he is, just as damaged and have some serious issues of our own, right? And we beat ourselves up about as much as he does mentally, constantly berating ourselves for being stupid, naive, "too nice", or still loving him when he's been such as ass. We hate ourselves for missing him, think there must be something terribly wrong with us for not being able to feel hate or enough anger to leave him, and so we begin to look for a label for ourselves.

One of the most popular ones in recent pop psychology has been the notion of "co-dependency." This term was originally created to explain the behaviors of loved ones and families of people who have alcohol or drug problems.

Interestingly enough-alcoholics and drug addicts take on an abuser's personality while they are in their addictions. They become secretive, dishonest, immoral, selfish and self centered in a completely pathological way, they manipulate and con and hide to maintain their addiction, and they blame the outside world or their live circumstances for why it is they must use drugs and alcohol. Once they get help and treatment-lots of that disappears.

For an abuser-it doesn't.

And lots of abusers use drugs and alcohol, which is why so many of us are convinced that its the addiction that has created this person in him, and so we become "co-dependant" in trying to "save" him. I personally believe that co-dependency is created in response to being in a toxic and abusive situation. I don't believe that we suffer from "co-dependency" and then as a result, attract all these losers to us. Yet, there are many who will say that there must be something deficient in us and in our psyche's that has made it possible to become "co-dependant. And, that co-dependency is a "disorder", a "dysfunction"-in other words, a "negative."

In doing this, I believe that it victimizes people further. Now, some will argue that there are no victims, only volunteers. Other trite sayings such as "You teach others how to treat you", and "You create your own reality" and "No one can bring you down without your consent." Or my personal favorite, "Like attracts like." Are you flippin' SERIOUS? They obviously haven't dated a real psycho.

NONE of it was consenting. Like him? Huh? I created this??

None of it was something we volunteered for, saw coming or ever wanted. Some say being a "victim" is dis-empowering, yet, saying we are "volunteers" is one of the biggest slaps in the face of all. Really? I mean, are you fucking kidding me? Yes, we have choices. Ever try and leave an abuser? Of course you have. He's tried to leave you, too. But he ain't going anywhere, even if he cuts you off and leaves you and finds another-he will still try to get to you- or, until you take drastic measures, and that's only if he hasn't scared the shit out of you enough to do so. And that fear could not just be physical, IE, I will kill you, but there could be all sorts of "consequences" and "repercussion" for abandoning an abuser.

They are like a stray animal-feed it once, and it keeps coming back. So, it's not like many of us didn't try and stand up for ourselves, didn't have a backbone or were so weak, blinded and programmed that we didn't think "This fucking SUCKS, HE SUCKS, and I WANT OUT." Co-dependant? Not when the only thing you could depend on him for, was getting hurt and emotionally slaughtered.
More later. This topic, this I can go on for days about.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it conforted me so much when I finally understood that he was the same way to everyone. I remember his ex-spouse texting him while we were having coffee together, at a bar. He stopped talking to me to read her messages, one after the other, but never answered them.

    He told me she was anxious because of an argument they had had the night before about their children. I told him "oh, ok... I'm going over there, talk easy to her, I can wait outdoors, or I can leave, but do answer her... she must be worried or sad...".

    And he said, "no, no... I'll not answer, definitely. I do want her to get anxious and worried and sad, SO THAT SHE LEARNS how to behave the next time."

    I still have his voice in my ears, saying that. I can still see his eyes looking around and his cold smile while putting his cell into his pocket again... I got so impressed, I remember. I wanted to answer her for myself, I felt so sorry for her. Then I understood he could be such a wolf behind that innocent look. What is the purpose, what is he doing this for?, I wondered.

    After some months, when our "relationship" had already "started", I could see that I would also be given the silent treatment if I was not a willing supplier. And I remembered I had had a good clue, that day, at the bar... but one can never imagine it will happen to you.

    And yes, this story never ends. Never totally ends. Yes, this stray man keeps coming back. He wants to lose NOTHING. He just wants to be there. But I'm reading your blog, and I am safe.

    Thank you again for this topic. I don't feel a volunteer, nor a co-dependant, nor an insane. No, no. I'm smart and I can learn. So I'm looking forward to reading more of it. (on YOUR BLOG!!!) :)

    ReplyDelete